Sunday, August 7, 2011

Thai Food



Our last assignment in typography was to make a menu for a restaurant. it took no time for me to know I wanted to do a thai restaurant. Not only because their food is one of the greatest things I know of, but also because I had been watching a lot of thai movies and I was interested to look study their art style. So I started by doing just that. I looked at a lot of thai traditional art and realized they had very elaborate line work and it included a lot of elephants. Elephants holding a good deal of significants in thai culture. I also looked a lot at the thai alphabet. I liked it a lot! I think it has tons of amazing shapes. So I went and found a downloadable font that made the english alphabet take on a thai alphabet look. After I decided to make the menu look like an elephant standing on your table it was only a matter of seconds before i decided to use that same thai font replicate in a small way the fancy line work and pattern that ethnic thai art had in it.
Like I said earlier I meant for this to be a standing menu so these images are actaully from the side. when it was printed out I cut it so it was only the orange elephant shapes and removed the white. Then I folded the menu into a triangle shape that stood very firmly on the table. I'll see if i can dig it up and get a photo of the physical piece for the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment